Thursday, April 25, 2013

NFL Draft

Let's try and do a little blogging throughout the NFL Draft.

I didn't do as much research as I normally do prior to the draft, but I still think I'm pretty knowledgeable.  Or, dumb enough to think I am and get myself in trouble...  I won't comment on all the picks, but just the ones that stand out.

So Oakland traded their pick to Miami.  First smart thing Oakland has done in the draft since about 1981.  But Miami, Dion Jordan?  Really?  Bad, bad pick.  Gonna haunt them.

Detroit is on the clock now...  How they going to screw this up?  Maybe try and draft Charles Rogers again?
If I were them, I'd take either Dee Millner or Ziggy Ansah.

Detroit picks...  wait, is that Barry Sanders?  Okay, now this is just pandering to the Detroit fans, trying to help them relive the glory days (such as they were) before they screw it up...  Wait again, the Lions picked Ansah.  I'm shocked.  A good pick.  Crazy.

And now we have the Browns, Part 2.  As a Steelers fan, I feel sorry for this franchise (and still angry at Art Modell).  They can't do anything right, even when it seems to be right, it still all goes wrong.  I expect to hear that Trent Richardson shredded his knee in a cheese grater accident and is out for the year any time now.  So it's Mingo.  Again, the reaction of the Browns fans at the draft should tell you all you need to know.  They have no hope.  Not even Obi-Wan Kenobi could offer them any help.

Tavon Austin to the Rams.  Very good pick.  I don't understand how some fans/teams bitch about their quarterbacks being terrible when they don't have anyone to throw it to.  Bradford is one of them.  He threw for 3,700 yards last year with 1/2 of a receiver (Danny Amendola, who spent half the season injured) and no real running game (Steven Jackson out of gas).  I know the game has changed, but still...

So what is Norv Turner going to do in San Diego.  What?  He's not there anymore?  I'm so disappointed.  It was always fun to see what he screwed up.

If I'm the Raiders, I try and trade this pick again.  They need about 951 picks to rebuild that team.  Gotta try and get as many players as you can.  D.J. Hayden is the pick.  Great story.  Damn near died in practice in November.  Came back and got to be a 1st round pick.  Not bad at all.

There's the pick the Jets fans hated.  Whomever is the coach of the Jest (very intended spelling error) has the makings of a decent defense.  But the Jets offense is going to be so gawdawful terrible next year.  Again, what does Sanchez have to work with???  How can you expect him to be successful?

Two picks until the Steelers draft.  I'm hoping for Kenny Vaccaro or Jarvis Jones.  New Orleans on the clock.  5 straight years using their first round pick on a defensive player.  But they've been pretty bad defensively.  Lack of players, or offense being so good that the defense tires at the end of a game?  I think lack of players.  Seem to have a good idea on offense, but no clue on defense.  Damn, Vaccaro is gone.  Was wanting him since Polamalu is long in the tooth (besides his hair), and he can't stay healthy anymore.  Just don't see the Bills taking Jones, so he should be there for the Steelers.

The Bills took E.J. Manuel.  Watched the Jon Gruden Quarterback Camp with Manuel.  Came to like Gruden (a little).  Wasn't afraid to really criticize the play of the player and call them out on it.  Didn't pull any punches.

The Steelers are on the clock.  While I think that the Steelers will pick Jarvis Jones, I'm kind of hopeful that the Steelers take Eddie Lacy.  He fits what the Steelers need as a running back.  And the Steelers can always find good linebackers that fit their scheme later.  Woodley was a 2nd round pick.  Harrison an undrafted free agent.  Joey Porter was a 3rd round pick.  Greg Lloyd wasn't a 1st round pick.  But they're really old on defense.  Almost as old as I am.

The pick was Jones.  Seemed that everyone and their uncle knew that this was where the Steelers were going.  I'm not going to complain.

The Niners are on the clock after trading with the Cowboys.  It's only prolonging me mocking the Cowboys.  Niners took Eric Reed.  After losing Goldson in free agency, this was one of the few, if only, weaknesses the Niners had.

The Bears are ready to go, and all I can think is that we need more trades...  No, wait.  The Bears went all crazy.  Instead of going after Eifert here, or T'eo, they go after Howie Long's other kid, an offensive lineman.  Well, it's not like the Bears OL has been good since Jim McMahon was their QB.

The Vikings are almost on the clock.  The have to be begging here that Sharif Floyd can hold out to them for two more picks.  If that happens, the Vikings will be so damned lucky.  Watch them pick Geno Smith.

The Bengals took Eifert.  Pretty decent pick.  More offense for Andy Dalton.  That's how you build around a QB.

The Falcons traded up with the Rams.  I think they take Floyd here.

I was wrong.  Good for the Vikings.  They'd better be running that Floyd pick up as quickly as they can!  A guy who was supposed to be upwards of a top 3 pick down at 23, what a steal.  Just saw the stat that Adrian Peterson was 43% of the Vikings offense last year.  I'm shocked.  I could have swore that it'd've been closer to 83%.  Great pick by the Vikings.  They got it right!

For the second Vikings pick, they go defense again with Xavier Rhodes.  Overhauling the defense.  But I may have to play middle linebacker for them.

I think the Packers should take Eddie Lacy.  Their running backs were terrible last year (and the year before).  But how could you not take Montee Ball in Green Bay?

Hey, the Texans finally decided that Andre Johnson needed some help.  A novel approach to things.

Denver is now up.  I think they take Sylvester Williams.  Some interior strength to help Von Miller on the outside.  But I'd consider a cornerback after the way that Champ Bailey got completely torched in the playoffs by Torrey Smith.

Patriots now.  They should take another WR.  I know they signed Amendola (after pissing Tom Brady off and letting Wes Welker go), but Brady needs another target.  Patterson would by my guy there.

But the rumors are true and the Vikings traded with the Patriots.  They seem to think T'eo or Ogletree.  I think the Vikings go for a WR.  I'd think Keenan Allen.  You'd think Patterson, but after Harvin, I don't think they'd go after someone who may be another potential headache...

So they took Patterson.  He definitely wins the Crazy Sartorial award for the evening.

Rams on the clock again.  I'd take either Justin Hunter or Keenan Allen.  Possibly Eddie Lacy.  Again, weapons around your QB.  Oh hurry up so I can make fun of Dallas...  Don't like this pick.  They don't play a 3-4.  Have Laurinitis at MLB already.

Now Dallas is up.  Pick is in.  Jokes are imminent.

Fuck the Ravens.  I hate the Browns, V1.0.  Almost as much as the Cowboys.  Wait, no, I hate them more than the Cowboys.  I never thought that would happen, but it has.

I'd make fun of the Cowboys pick, but the Cowboys fans already did it for me.

I'm betting T'eo goes here to the Ravens.  Now I get to boo him on a regular basis.  And it was Elam.

We end up with Geno Smith and Manti T'eo falling to the second round.  Gonna be interesting to see where they go.  Disappointed that we didn't have more "huh" draft picks that we all can make fun of.  The teams are just getting too damn smart about the draft.



No comments:

Post a Comment